Parents see costly tablet computers and expensive gaming consoles for their pre-school kids, but wait a moment, are they making the right choice for their kids? That same money can help you purchase plethora of puzzles, building blocks, art holdings and shape sorting toys. Wouldn’t your kid will be better off, if he spends more time with the conventional childhood toys, rather than a joy stick or touch screen?
Parents should now that several computer engineers of Silicon Valley send their kids to Waldorf School where no computers are used! In place of that, kids are engrossed in natural study, outdoor activities, creative indoor plays and conventional crafts like weaving and knitting. Pen and paper is used for writing.
Even the hi-tech professionals know that their kids can comfortably pick up computer talents later, after developing the crucial skills via traditional means. Check out some of the tips to make your kid’s playtime educational and funny at the same time:
- Go for hands on learning- Rather than giving your kid a PlayStation, it is better to surprise them with a wooden tray puzzle. Your kid will learn that solids have shape and acquire space. Children playing with shape sorting toys and learn that the structure is more balanced if the base is bigger than the top. With the help of hands on learning skills, your toddlers will learn a lesson of a skilled engineer daily.
- Do not give your kids any screen time. Whether it is gaming console, computer or television, there shouldn’t be anything children of 3 years or below. Recent research suggests that kids watching too much screen develop loss of focus and face difficulty in interaction.
- Make your kid acknowledge his/her whole body, right from eyes, ears to hands. If you teach your kids in a playtime learning way, your kids will develop social and motor skills. Make him acknowledge the environment and the things around him
- Go for face to face interaction while playing shapes or building blocks. Bring in his/her friends and make them interact about whatever activity they’re doing. This will help their mind evolve in varied ways. Do not give them puzzle piece on a computer screen. As a puzzle piece in reality is different from a screen. Your baby can’t touch it, can’t feel it nor describe it with his friends. It will more or less be a computer game for him.
- Do not ignore playing. Playing is an important part in the development of a child. It is beneficial for an emergent mind. If you give him efficient time to play in the park, enjoy cycling or just chat with his friends on the playground, each of the activity adds to his social and cognitive development.
- By choosing age-suitable activities in which kids can play with their group or singularly, you can help in the development of his cognitive skills. Often teachers use playtime learning method in the classroom. It is a fun way to make the child interactive and more open towards studies and activities of his interest. This way a kid will choose a new concept or a new bunch of skills and bring it into practical application.
- Give your kids what they love to play. If your kid loves puzzles, give him the opportunity to play it. If your daughter needs a doll house, then it should be there for her. It opens new experiences for the child and helps them overtly explore things. This way their brain begins to process info it gets. The higher a kid cements his new discovered abilities, the better are the results of his development in other areas too!
- Give your child more independence by teaching them how to handle their personal needs. Whether it personal grooming, scheduling the homework, setting up the bag for the next day or playtime, kids should be given some of the job duties for themselves. This will bring a sense of responsibility, punctuality and more of mannerism
- Guide the kids towards their hobbies, academic projects as well as creative pursuit’s especially involving nature and science in a fun way. Managing hobbies, playtime and education for a balanced growth of child is important. Your kid’s daily schedule should include physical activity, educational opportunities and creativity.
- No strict timetable, no strict homework, dinner time and bath time. The growing age of kids is their only opportunity to explore and make their choices in a secure atmosphere. This is the time they can use their imaginations, versatile their thinking and acquire skills which are important for the adult life. Unstructured playtime will help them learn their likes and dislikes and motivate them to think for themselves. It helps them resolve issues amongst themselves, rather than just depending in the adult to do every time for them.
With hands on learning, playtime learning, your kids will not only acquire mental strength but also physical strength and cognitive skills. Your child learns from whatever he hears and sees at any age. Thus, the more you talk and bring up good things in front of them, the more they’ll learn. Make every moment of the day count by pointing out shapes, colors, people, counting of items almost anywhere. Kids have a very imaginative world and anything that strikes their imagination, stays with them the whole of their life.
Kids have great time to nurture their creativity, to relax their pressures, perform their homework and be able to concentrate on what should be achieved. This needs patience, planning as well as juggling as they also need to learn how to efficiently manage their time. Once they learn how to balance activities and schedule their actions, they can fully avail the benefits of the productive life that lies just ahead in the future. Give them a fruitful present to make their future brighter. If you load them with gadgets, gizmos and books in their early stage of life, you’ll prohibit them from social, emotional, educational and cognitive development.